· Eastern Market Main Street has consolidated its funding support to small business into our Technical Assistance Grant. We are accepting applications for assistance covering any small business operating expense including (but not limited to) rent, wages, taxes and accounting assistance, marketing and website upgrades, legal assistance, and façade improvements. Current funding is limited, so submit your application by March 31, 2020.
· On March 17th, the Council of the District of Columba approved, "COVID-19 RESPONSE EMERGENCY AMENDMENT ACT OF 2020." The Act provides several measures that assist residents, businesses and organizations during this pandemic. What the Emergency Act does for business:
o Extends the March 31 real property tax for hotels to June 30, 2020 and allows other businesses to defer February and March sales taxes to July 20, 2020.
o Creates small business grant program, including grants to non-profits and independent contractors (if they do not qualify for Unemployment Insurance).
o Allows for pick up or delivery of beer and wine (in a sealed container) to be consumed in the home from a restaurant if ordered with food.
o Extends time for filing of biennial corporate filing.
We will disseminate additional information as it becomes available.
· The federal government also approved DC's emergency declaration, which makes targeted, low-interest loans available to businesses. Businesses can start the process by clicking here and then clicking “Apply for Assistance.” You can prepare to apply by reviewing the “Three Step Process” of SBA Disaster Loans to understand what to expect in the application process. Disaster loan applicants can call the SBA Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center at 1-800-659-2955 (7am-9pm every day) or email email@example.com for help in completing their online application.
· EMMS staff are available for 1-on-1 small business counseling, as are SBA local resource partners. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or to schedule a meeting.
There are many ways to still support small businesses during this outbreak:
· Purchase a gift card now to use at a later date (any dollar amount counts!)
· Order online and use delivery service
· Virtual community experiences/activations
· Facetime/Instagram/Virtual shopping services
· Check in on your favorite business owner and ask how you can help, or let them know you are thinking about them (it’s the little things that mean a lot)
· Continue to follow CDC advice on containing the spread of COVID19 and stay home if you are sick
Executive Director, Eastern Market Main Street